Stan Wawrinka has underwent an operation on his left foot earlier this year for an injury that ruled him out of the ongoing French Open as well.

Stan Wawrinka has not played on the ATP Tour since March. (Reuters Photo)

HIGHLIGHTS

  • Stan Wawrinka has pulled out of this year’s Wimbledon with a foot injury
  • The injury had earlier ruled Wawrinka out of the French Open
  • The 36-year-old is currently undergoing rehabilitation at his base in Monaco

Three-time Grand Slam champion Stan Wawrinka has pulled out of Wimbledon, scheduled to start on June 28, due to a foot injury, the governing body of men’s tennis (ATP) said on Saturday. The injury has also ruled Wawrinka out of the ongoing French Open.

The Swiss former world number three underwent an operation on his left foot earlier this year. Wawrinka has not played on the ATP Tour since his opening round defeat by Lloyd Harris at the Qatar Open in March.

The 36-year-old has made 15 appearances at the Wimbledon, reaching the quarter-finals in 2014 and 2015. He won the Australian Open in 2014 before adding the French Open (2015) and U.S. Open (2016) titles to his trophy cabinet.

The world number 24 is in rehabilitation at his base in Monaco. His spokeswoman told Reuters last month that the player hoped to be fit for the grasscourt season.

Click here for IndiaToday.in’s complete coverage of the coronavirus pandemic.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here