Max Verstappen has committed his long-term future to Red Bull by signing a new contract that will keep the four-time Formula 1 world champion with the team until the end of 2030. The agreement brings an end, at least for now, to months of speculation over a possible move away from Red Bull.

Verstappen’s previous contract was due to run until the end of 2028, but clauses in the agreement had left open the possibility of him leaving earlier. McLaren and Mercedes had both been linked with the Dutchman, with his management understood to have held talks with McLaren over a potential move for 2027.

“I am really pleased with the contract extension. We have the best people and I’m excited to keep working together with everyone to get back to the top again,” Verstappen said.

“This remains the ultimate goal that all of us have been working towards and will continue to pursue. I have always said it, the team is like a second family for me and I feel very at home.”

The new deal will take Verstappen through to the age of 33 and keeps him at the team he joined in 2016. He has won four consecutive drivers’ championships with Red Bull and has 71 Grand Prix victories to his name.

WHY VERSTAPPEN STAYED

The decision comes after a difficult start to the new technical era for Red Bull. Verstappen has managed two second-place finishes this season and currently sits sixth in the championship, 110 points behind Mercedes’ Kimi Antonelli.

His frustration with the new power-unit regulations had also raised questions over whether he would remain in Formula 1, with Verstappen admitting earlier this year that he was considering his future.

However, Red Bull have gradually improved their car and reliability, while changes to the power-unit regulations have also addressed some of the concerns surrounding the new rules.

Verstappen has evidently been convinced that the team can return to the front.

“Getting to work with Laurent now for over a year has also been great, I see a clear vision he has for the team,” Verstappen said of team principal Laurent Mekies.

“Everyone in Milton Keynes believes in what we are building and I am looking forward to the next chapter, fighting for more victories and competing for championships.”

RED BULL KEEP THEIR STAR

Mekies described Verstappen’s renewal as a major boost for Red Bull and Formula 1, pointing to the relationship built since the Dutchman’s arrival.

“Having Max continue with us and retaining the best driver on the grid is fantastic news for everyone at Red Bull, Oracle Red Bull Racing, as well as F1 and motorsport as a whole,” Mekies said.

The decision is significant given the changes around Verstappen at Red Bull. Christian Horner has departed, Helmut Marko’s future has been questioned and Verstappen’s long-time race engineer Gianpiero Lambiase is set to join McLaren in 2028.

Yet Verstappen has chosen to remain. He joined Red Bull’s senior team in 2016 after starting his F1 career with Toro Rosso and won on his debut for the team at the Spanish Grand Prix that year.

The extension also removes much of the uncertainty around the 2027 driver market. Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren and Red Bull now appear set to retain their current lead drivers, leaving the rest of the grid to compete for the remaining seats.

Verstappen’s contract may still contain performance-related mechanisms that could allow an early exit, although the details have not been made public. For now, though, the message from both sides is clear. Verstappen believes Red Bull can get back to winning championships, and he intends to be there when they do.

– Ends

Published By:

Debodinna Chakraborty

Published On:

Aug 20, 2026 14:32 IST



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here