- India reported 75,808 new coronavirus cases on Tuesday, taking its tally to 42,80,422. The country recorded 1,133 daily deaths – the highest since July 23 – pushing the toll to 72,775. As many as 33,23,950 people in the country have recovered from the infection. India’s recovery rate has gone up to 77.65% while the death rate has fallen to 1.70%.
- The Centre on Tuesday said schools can partially reopen for Class 9 to 12 from September 21. The health ministry issued guidelines. All educational institutions have been shut across the country since March.
- The central government said that Russia has requested India’s help in manufacturing of vaccine by Indian companies and conducting phase three studies in India. Earlier in the day, Russia rolled out the first batch of its “Sputnik V” vaccine against the coronavirus for public use.
- The Indian Council of Medical Research said over 5 crore samples have been tested for the coronavirus so far. Of these, 10,98,621 samples were tested on Monday.
- Delhi on Tuesday recorded 3,609 new cases and 19 deaths. With this, the total cases in the national Capital is now 1,97,135 including 4,618 deaths. This is the highest daily surge in over two months. Maharashtra, the worst-affected state, registered 20,131 fresh infections, taking the state’s total to 9.43 lakh, with 27,407 deaths.
- American credit rating agency Fitch Ratings on Tuesday sharply lowered its growth forecast for India, saying that the country’s gross domestic product for the financial year 2020-’21 is expected to contract by 10.5%, instead of its estimated 5% contraction in May.
- The coronavirus outbreak that had brought India’s financial capital Mumbai to a standstill has contributed to a sharp increase in deaths in the city. Data given by the city’s civic authority showed that the total number of deaths in Mumbai rose by nearly 37% compared to 2019 .
- Union Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan urged Railway Minister Piyush Goyal to resume “Shramik Special” trains from Odisha to Gujarat, Karnataka and Maharashtra so that migrant labourers can return to their workplaces .
- Chinese President Xi Jinping claimed his country acted in an “open and transparent manner” amid the coronavirus crisis and that it had taken concrete efforts to help save millions of lives around the world during the pandemic. The virus had originated in the Chinese city of Wuhan. The United States, among others, has repeatedly accused China of not revealing the seriousness of the coronavirus to the world in the initial stages of the outbreak, causing it to spread rapidly.
- Globally, the coronavirus has infected more than 2.73 crore people and claimed 8,92,714 lives, according to Johns Hopkins University. Over 1.83 people have recovered from the infection worldwide.
Top 10 coronavirus updates: With 3,609 cases, Delhi registers highest daily infections in 2 months
A health official takes a swab sample at a coronavirus testing centre in New Delhi on April 27, 2020...