Mohun Bagan Super Giant have once again found themselves at the centre of a major country-versus-club row after deciding not to release seven of their players for the Indian national team camp ahead of the Unity Cup in London. Just days after suffering a heartbreaking ISL title loss to East Bengal, the club has now taken another hardline stance against the AIFF over player welfare and injury protection outside the FIFA international window.
India head coach Khalid Jamil had named seven Mohun Bagan players in his 28-member squad for the four-nation Unity Cup, where India are set to face Jamaica on May 27. But the ISL runners-up made it clear that the players would only be officially released once the FIFA international window begins on June 1.
Speaking about the situation, a Mohun Bagan official explained the club’s concerns around injuries and lack of compensation protection outside FIFA-approved windows.
“Our stand is very clear — players will be released only from the day the FIFA window starts,” the official told PTI.
“We have released the players from our side, but if they travel before that on their own, we will not bear any responsibility if they get injured.”
“The FIFA window starts from June 1. From that date, if a player gets injured, FIFA provides compensation. But if a player suffers an injury before that, there is no protection.”
The seven Mohun Bagan players named in the squad are Liston Colaco, Manvir Singh, Lalengmawia Ralte (Apuia), Sahal Abdul Samad, Anirudh Thapa, Abhishek Singh and goalkeeper Vishal Kaith.
The development now creates a fresh problem for India’s preparations ahead of the Unity Cup, with the national side scheduled to fly to London from Bengaluru on Sunday.
WHY DO MOHUN BAGAN KEEP DENYING INDIA DUTIES?
This is not the first time Mohun Bagan have taken such a stance against releasing players for national duty outside the FIFA window.
The club has repeatedly cited concerns over injuries and lack of financial protection for players during non-mandatory international periods. The latest dispute once again stems from previous fallouts involving defender Subhasish Bose and winger Ashique Kuruniyan.
“Earlier, in the cases of Subhasish Bose and Ashique Kuruniyan, the federation did not compensate us in any manner,” the Mohun Bagan official said.
Last year, Mohun Bagan and AIFF were involved in a major disagreement after the club claimed Bose suffered a serious adductor and groin injury while on India duty during an AFC Asian Cup qualifier against Bangladesh.
The AIFF rejected that claim and argued Bose had actually suffered the injury during the ISL final for Mohun Bagan itself, accusing the club of failing to properly report the issue and begin rehabilitation in time.
A similar conflict had also erupted in 2023 after Ashique Kuruniyan suffered an ACL injury around the Asian Games period, following which Mohun Bagan became increasingly resistant towards releasing players for non-mandatory national assignments.
The club had also refused player release ahead of the CAFA Nations Cup in 2025 under similar circumstances.
While Mohun Bagan insisted they are not physically stopping players from joining India camp, the club made it clear they will not take responsibility for injuries suffered before the FIFA window officially opens.
“We are not stopping the players. Whether they travel or not is their decision. But if they get injured before June 1, Mohun Bagan will not pay anything,” the official added.
WHAT NOW FOR THE INDIAN FOOTBALL TEAM?
The situation now leaves Khalid Jamil and the Indian team management in a difficult spot just days before the Unity Cup begins in London.
India are set to play Jamaica on May 27, while Nigeria face Zimbabwe on May 26. The winners will meet in the final on May 30.
The uncertainty surrounding Mohun Bagan’s players comes at a crucial stage of preparation, especially considering several of them form the core of India’s regular starting lineup.
Recently crowned ISL champions East Bengal also have players named in the squad, including Jeakson Singh and Anwar Ali. However, Anwar is currently injured, while it remains unclear whether Jeakson will join the camp.
The latest standoff once again exposes the growing friction between Indian clubs and the AIFF regarding player welfare, insurance structures and scheduling outside FIFA-approved windows.
And for Indian football, it adds yet another layer of uncertainty during a period where administrative tensions have increasingly started affecting matters on the pitch as well.
– Ends






















