Home More Sport Iran shift FIFA World Cup 2026 base from US to Mexico days...

Iran shift FIFA World Cup 2026 base from US to Mexico days ahead of kickoff

0
3
Iran shift FIFA World Cup 2026 base from US to Mexico days ahead of kickoff


Iran’s football team has decided to shift its FIFA World Cup 2026 base camp from the United States to Mexico after receiving approval from FIFA, according to Iran Football Federation president Mehdi Taj. The move comes amid rising geopolitical tensions involving Iran, the United States and Israel ahead of next year’s tournament.

Iran were originally scheduled to train in Tucson, Arizona during the World Cup, but will now reportedly base themselves in Tijuana, Mexico, which sits close to the US border and allows easier travel for their Group G fixtures in the United States.

Speaking in a statement released on Saturday, Iran Football Federation president Mehdi Taj confirmed that FIFA had approved their request following discussions with tournament officials.

“All team base camps for the countries participating in the World Cup must be approved by FIFA,” Taj said.

“Fortunately, following the requests we submitted and the meetings we held with FIFA and World Cup officials in Istanbul, as well as the webinar meeting we had yesterday in Tehran with the respected FIFA Secretary General, our request to change the team’s base from the United States to Mexico was approved.”

FIFA, however, has not yet officially confirmed the change publicly.

WHY IRAN MOVED WORLD CUP BASE FROM USA

The decision comes against the backdrop of growing tensions involving Iran, the United States and Israel over concerns surrounding Iran’s nuclear programme and wider Middle East instability.

Iran had earlier explored alternative arrangements for their World Cup stay amid security concerns and uncertainty over how the political situation could impact the team’s movement and preparation inside the United States.

Despite the concerns, Iran are still set to play their Group G matches in the US as originally planned.

Their World Cup campaign begins against New Zealand at SoFi Stadium in California on June 16 before further group-stage matches against Belgium and Egypt later in the tournament.

Earlier this month, former US President Donald Trump had publicly backed Iran’s participation in the competition after FIFA president Gianni Infantino reaffirmed that the nation would play its matches in the United States.

“Well, if Gianni said it, I’m okay. Did Gianni say it?… You know what? Let them play,” Trump had said while speaking to reporters.

FIFA YET TO ISSUE OFFICIAL CONFIRMATION

Iran’s football federation had already been in talks with FIFA officials over concerns regarding logistics and security during the tournament.

At the beginning of May, federation chief Mehdi Taj had stated that he planned to meet FIFA president Gianni Infantino to seek assurances that Iran would be treated with “respect” during the World Cup.

The issue also drew attention during the FIFA Congress earlier this year, where Iran’s delegation was notably absent amid the ongoing political uncertainty.

While FIFA has not formally announced the relocation of Iran’s base camp, the federation’s approval — if confirmed — would allow Iran to remain outside the United States for much of the tournament while still travelling across the border for matches.

– Ends

Published By:

Debodinna Chakraborty

Published On:

May 24, 2026 02:09 IST



Source link

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here