FIFA has confirmed the departure of Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour, just weeks after he publicly challenged Gianni Infantino over a controversial plan to bring private investment into FIFA’s tournament business. The timing has raised questions over whether Lamour’s criticism contributed to the end of his tenure.
Lamour, who joined FIFA’s senior leadership in November 2024, had previously worked closely with Infantino during his rise to the FIFA presidency. FIFA said their professional relationship ended on August 17, while Sky News reported that staff were told Lamour had been sacked.
“FIFA can confirm that the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as FIFA’s Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026,” a FIFA spokesperson said.
“FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future. No further comment will be made on the matter,” FIFA added.
LAMOUR’S PUBLIC BREAK WITH INFANTINO
Lamour became one of the most senior FIFA figures to publicly oppose Infantino’s proposed commercial restructuring. The plan involved creating a subsidiary to handle major tournament rights and seeking as much as 4.2 billion US dollars from private investors in exchange for a minority stake.
Lamour had argued that FIFA employees had not been properly informed about the proposal and questioned whether it served football’s wider interests. He also acknowledged that speaking out could cost him his position.
His criticism came around the same time as the resignation of senior Infantino adviser Carlos Cordeiro, who also opposed the investment plan. Facing mounting resistance from football stakeholders, Infantino eventually withdrew the proposal.
The circumstances surrounding Lamour’s departure have not been officially explained. FIFA has confirmed the end of his relationship with the organisation but has not said that his public criticism was the reason, while Sky News reported that he was dismissed.
INFANTINO FACES FRESH SCRUTINY
Lamour’s exit comes as Infantino faces increasing pressure over his leadership ahead of FIFA’s presidential election in March 2027. UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation and CONCACAF have called for an independent review of his conduct, adding to the growing opposition around the FIFA president.
Infantino’s eligibility for another term is also being challenged. Critics argue that he has already reached FIFA’s three-term limit, while Infantino maintains that his initial 2016-19 period should not count because he completed an interrupted mandate.
– Ends

