The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) will host an Afghanistan refugee women’s team for a tour starting June 22, in a move aimed at supporting displaced Afghan cricketers and keeping them connected to the game.
The programme, organised in partnership with the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) and the MCC Foundation, will include T20 matches and high-performance training sessions. The players will also attend the final of the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2026 at Lord’s on July 5.
The squad consists of former Afghanistan women cricketers who were forced to leave the country after the Taliban returned to power in August 2021. Following the regime change, women were effectively barred from sport and much of public life in Afghanistan.
Many of the players later settled in Australia, where they have continued to pursue cricket. Earlier this year, an Afghanistan women’s side faced a Cricket Without Borders XI at Junction Oval ahead of the Women’s Ashes Test at the MCG, in a match streamed by Cricket Australia.
The ECB said the tour was intended to provide both competitive opportunities and a platform to underline cricket’s commitment to inclusion.
“Since being displaced from Afghanistan in 2021, these players have shown extraordinary resilience in continuing their cricket journeys, in incredibly challenging circumstances,” ECB Deputy CEO and Managing Director of England Women Clare Connor said.
“We have worked with It’s Game On to build an itinerary and a set of experiences that we hope will be enjoyable and memorable. We are also delighted that the squad will attend the final of the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2026.
“Cricket has a responsibility to stand for inclusion and opportunity, and we are proud to be hosting this tour and supporting the players in deepening their connection to the game.”
The relocation and continued support of the players has been facilitated in part by It’s Game On, a global sports consultancy co-founded by former Australia cricketer Mel Jones, Emma Staples and Dr Catherine Orway. Jones played a major role in helping several players relocate to Australia after leaving Afghanistan.
“This tour is a major step forward, but also highlights how much work remains,” Jones said.
“These players have shown extraordinary courage and commitment to the game, despite everything that has been taken from them. They deserve more opportunities like this; they deserve to be recognised as part of the global cricket community. Moments like this matter, but we need to see plans for sustained and meaningful action beyond this year.”
– Ends


























