Home Lifestyle Travel Majority of Britons braced for long delays this summer thanks to new...

Majority of Britons braced for long delays this summer thanks to new EES system, poll finds

0
2
Majority of Britons braced for long delays this summer thanks to new EES system, poll finds


Nearly three out of five (59%) UK holidaymakers planning trips to Europe this year anticipate significant delays linked to the EU’s new entry-exit system (EES), a recent survey indicates.

The poll, commissioned by travel company Booking.com, also revealed that almost half of respondents fear missing their flights due to the impending border checks.

The EES requires individuals from non-EU countries, such as the UK, to have their fingerprints registered and a photograph taken upon entry to the Schengen Area, which comprises 29 European nations. For the majority of British travellers, this biometric process will be conducted at foreign airports.

Concerns are escalating following a report from the representative body Airports Council International, which stated that the EES is already contributing to delays of up to three hours. Airports in popular destinations including Spain, Portugal, France, and Italy are among those most severely impacted.

More than 100 easyJet passengers missed a flight from Milan Linate to Manchester last month because of delays at passport desks caused by the ramp up of EES.

An identity and fingerprint terminal is used during a preview of the newly developed Entry Exit System (EES) zone at the Eurotunnel terminal in Folkestone, Kent
An identity and fingerprint terminal is used during a preview of the newly developed Entry Exit System (EES) zone at the Eurotunnel terminal in Folkestone, Kent (PA)

The survey indicated that 56 per cent of UK travellers plan to arrive at airports earlier than usual in an attempt to avoid disruption, with 12 per cent intending to arrive at least four hours before departure.

More than half (52 per cent) of respondents who have travelled to the EU since the introduction of EES said they experienced delays during their journey, while 43 per cent said they were not delayed.

Booking.com advised families travelling to Europe during the May half-term break to ensure their passports are eligible for their dates, and keep items such as a portable phone charger and any medication in hand luggage.

Ryan Pearson, regional manager for the UK and Ireland at Booking.com, said: “May half-term is a key moment in the travel calendar, and we know many people are feeling anxious about how the new entry-exit system could impact their trip.

“We want to help travellers feel informed and prepared before they leave, whether that’s checking travel documents in advance or packing the right essentials in hand luggage in case of longer queues.

“Changes to the way we travel can understandably feel daunting, but we’re already seeing that many journeys are running smoothly. The key is preparation.”

Advantage Travel Partnership, a network of independent travel agents, reported earlier this month that demand for holidays in Greece has surged since the country revealed on April 17 it will not impose EES requirements on UK travellers this summer.

The south-eastern European country’s market share of UK holiday bookings rose from 7.7% in mid-April to 9.98% by the end of the month, Advantage Travel Partnership said.

EES was first introduced in October last year, with its roll out ramped up on April 10.

EU rules currently allow the checks to be temporarily halted to avoid queues at peak periods.



Source link

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here