Elon Musk arrives to court at the Ronald V. Dellums Federal Building on April 30, 2026 in Oakland, California.

Benjamin Fanjoy | Getty Images

Elon Musk lost his lawsuit against OpenAI CEO Sam Altman on Monday, ending one round in the fight between the former friends and co-founders, and setting the stage for an even bigger battle as the billionaires gear up to lead potentially record-setting IPOs.

Musk’s SpaceX, which was valued at $1.25 trillion in February after merging with artificial intelligence startup xAI, is planning to disclose its prospectus as soon as this week. Altman’s OpenAI, which Musk helped start in 2015 before a contentious split that led to the eventual lawsuit, is valued at more than $850 billion and is eyeing a possible market debut later this year.

Only two tech companies — Facebook and Alibaba — have been valued at even $100 billion after their first day of trading on U.S. exchanges.

“The big picture is the theater is now done,” Gene Munster, managing partner at Deepwater Asset Management, told CNBC’s Kelly Evans on Monday. “Now we get to the substance of seeing what these companies can do to really build massive businesses around AI.”

Both SpaceX and OpenAI have complicated stories to tell, and for investors to buy in at such elevated prices, they have to be confident in top leadership. That’s particularly true when it involves polarizing figures like Musk, the world’s richest person, and Altman, who was briefly ousted by his own board less than three years ago.

Musk won by holding up possible OpenAI IPO, torturing Sam Altman: Jim Cramer

The past three weeks served as a dramatic distraction in what’s been a multi-year race to develop the world’s leading AI models and tools, with Altman and Musk, two of the main figures in the AI boom, facing off at a federal courthouse in Oakland, California.

In 2024, Musk sued OpenAI and Altman, alleging they abandoned a promise to keep the AI lab a nonprofit. The last two years featured a public war of words between the two sides.

An advisory jury determined on Monday that Musk waited too long to file the suit, a decision that was immediately adopted by District Court Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers. The court did not address whether Musk’s claims of “breach of charitable trust” were valid, but instead that they fell outside of a three-year statute of limitations.

Musk’s attorneys said their client would appeal the verdict to the 9th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals, and Musk, in a post on X, called the decision a “calendar technicality.”

“There is no question to anyone following the case in detail that Altman & Brockman did in fact enrich themselves by stealing a charity. The only question is WHEN they did it! ” Musk wrote.

‘Sore loser’

A SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket launches from Kennedy Space Center’s Launch Pad 39-A on Wednesday, April 29, 2026. (Richard Tribou/Orlando Sentinel/Tribune News Service via Getty Images)

Richard Tribou | Orlando Sentinel | Getty Images

Even without the litigation, Musk has a big challenge on his hands laying out his long-term plans for SpaceX. The company’s core business involves launching giant reusable rockets into space under government contracts. This week it’s targeting a 12th test flight of Starship, including a new version of the rocket it plans to launch at its Starbase, Texas facility.

SpaceX also owns the Starlink satellite internet service, recently acquired xAI, which includes social network X, and last month said it signed a deal giving it the right to buy AI coding startup Cursor for $60 billion.

Musk has outsized control over the sprawling operation.

Last week, public pension system leaders, who collectively manage over $1 trillion in assets, wrote a letter to SpaceX executives, spelling out a litany of concerns they have over the company’s “novel and extreme governance structure,” and a lack of recourse for shareholders.

They also highlighted, “the competing demands on Mr. Musk’s time and attention,” noting that the milestone-based pay packages at SpaceX and Tesla put the two companies “in the unusual position of essentially competing against one another for the focused attention of their shared chief executive.”

Next for Altman

OpenAI CEO Sam Altman walks inside the federal courthouse during a recess in the proceedings in the trial over Elon Musk’s lawsuit against OpenAI in Oakland, California, on May 12, 2026.

Josh Edelson | AFP | Getty Images

Then there’s the money problem. Altman and other OpenAI executives testified that the company needs an extraordinary amount of capital in order to secure the computing resources required to train and run cutting-edge AI models.

The company has already raised more than $180 billion from investors, and continues to burn through cash at a historic pace. As Altman pushes towards an IPO, he’s under pressure from investors to show that the numbers work, while facing increasingly stiff competition from rivals, most notably Anthropic, which is winning in the enterprise and the AI coding market.

Since the trial kicked off late last month, Anthropic has announced a new enterprise AI services company, agents for financial services and a major compute deal for capacity at the xAI Colossus 1 data center in Memphis, Tennessee.

Meanwhile, Altman is dealing with turnover in his upper ranks. While the trial was taking place, Greg Brockman, the company’s president and another key defendant in the case, officially took over OpenAI’s product strategy. Brockman assumed the added responsibility on a tentative basis in April after Fidji Simo revealed she was taking a significant medical leave because of a worsening neuroimmune condition.

OpenAI also has to reckon with the reality that SpaceX is likely to hit the public markets first, and that Anthropic is right on its heels, said Jake Dollarhide, CEO of Longbow Asset Management.

“Altman’s courtroom victory lap may be short-lived, given that Musk and SpaceX and, in turn, xAI will be the first to go public and receive a likely boost from investors in the form of the ‘first-mover’ effect,” Dollarhide said in an email. “If Altman is not careful, Anthropic could do the same with the next IPO and then OpenAI would be left holding the bag for whatever investor interest is left over as the potential third IPO among these AI royalties.”

WATCH: ‘Theater is now done,’ time for AI company growth and substance: Deepwater’s Munster

'Theater is now done,' time for AI company growth and substance: Deepwater's Munster
Choose CNBC as your preferred source on Google and never miss a moment from the most trusted name in business news.



Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here